An affogato (Italian for “drowned”) is an Italian coffee-based dessert. It usually takes the form of a scoop of vanilla gelato or ice cream topped or “drowned” with a shot of hot espresso. Some variations also include a shot of amaretto, Bicerin, or other liqueur.
Our favorite variation here at Rancho Aloha is prepared as follows:
- Begin with a small, chilled bowl
- Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Over the ice cream pour a shot of hot espresso
- Observe the patterns and currents as the espresso interacts with the ice cream
- Then, with a spoon, or sipped from the bowl, enjoy this delicious Italian treat – the simplest of recipes, yet incredibly delicious!
Created in Italy many years ago, affogato is now becoming popular around the world. There is a spirited debate over whether affogato is a dessert or a beverage.
However it is characterized, do not long wait after the expresso is poured; consume the affogato before the ice cream melts. Although Italian espresso is traditionally made with dark roasted robusta, the taste of an affogato made with a lighter roast 100% Kona coffee is unmatched.